Recipe by Nikki Dinki Cooking
How to make perfect Sushi Rice.
Top Review by djekalambert2
I would rate this recipe 0 stars if it was allowed! The results were so salty the sushi was inedible. I've been making sushi for over 20 years. I was house sitting and didn't have my usual recipe with me, so I went online and found this one. After spending approximately $35 on ingredients and 4 hours preparing the sushi, I ended up throwing everything in the trash and going out for dinner with my friend who came to visit for homemade sushi. This was the WORST sushi I've ever attempted to eat!
Directions See How It's Made
- Use "Sushi Rice" only, also knows as "Kagayaki" or"Koshihikari" rice.
- Put rice in a bowl and fill with water you will notice the water is cloudy. Drain water out and repeat the process until the water is clear.
- Bring 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook about 15minutes. Just until all the water is adsorbed, could be more or less time. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Remove the rice from the heat and let sit, still covered, for 10min.
- Spread rice on a flat surface. You want it to spread out as much as possible to cool quickly.
- Sprinkle on 1 Tbs of SEASONED Rice Vinegar.
- If you have just "Rice Vinegar" combine 1Tbs Vinegar with 1Tbs Sugar and 1tsp Salt and it is the same thing. Put mixture over heat in a sauce pan or in the microwave to dissolve sugar and salt.
- Work vinegar through rice by pushing around with a spoon, also start fanning your rice. You want the rice to cool as quickly as possible.
- The rice should have a sheen all over, if it does not add a little more vinegar.
- Wet your hands and form the rice into a ball, it should stick together and still pull apart into individual pieces.
- Use 3/4 to 1 cup of cooked rice per sheet of Nori (seaweed).
- For a step by step video on how to make the sushi rice search "Nikki Dinki Sushi" on youtube for my instructional video. It can be really nice to see it on a video first! Have fun!