1/2 Photos of Sushi Rice
Nikki Dinki Cooking's Note:
How to make perfect Sushi Rice.
My Private Note
cups of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use "Sushi Rice" only, also knows as "Kagayaki" or"Koshihikari" rice.
- 2Put rice in a bowl and fill with water you will notice the water is cloudy. Drain water out and repeat the process until the water is clear.
- 3Bring 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water to a boil.
- 4Reduce to a simmer and cover.
- 5Cook about 15minutes. Just until all the water is adsorbed, could be more or less time. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 6Remove the rice from the heat and let sit, still covered, for 10min.
- 7Spread rice on a flat surface. You want it to spread out as much as possible to cool quickly.
- 8Sprinkle on 1 Tbs of SEASONED Rice Vinegar.
- 9If you have just "Rice Vinegar" combine 1Tbs Vinegar with 1Tbs Sugar and 1tsp Salt and it is the same thing. Put mixture over heat in a sauce pan or in the microwave to dissolve sugar and salt.
- 10Work vinegar through rice by pushing around with a spoon, also start fanning your rice. You want the rice to cool as quickly as possible.
- 11The rice should have a sheen all over, if it does not add a little more vinegar.
- 12Wet your hands and form the rice into a ball, it should stick together and still pull apart into individual pieces.
- 13Use 3/4 to 1 cup of cooked rice per sheet of Nori (seaweed).
- 14For a step by step video on how to make the sushi rice search "Nikki Dinki Sushi" on youtube for my instructional video. It can be really nice to see it on a video first! Have fun!
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sushi Rice
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.2
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 10.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice vinegar