Recipe by mortar&pestle
Given to me by my aunts Japanese sister-in-law. A simple recipe with chicken or just vegetables for the vegetarians.
- 500 g calrose rice
- 600 ml water
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 sheets nori, seaweed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cucumber, cut into long thin slices
- 2 tablespoons wasabi paste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken in a glass/plastic bowl with 2 tbsp of the soy sauce and leave to marinade.
- Wash the rice with 2-3 changes of water to remove excess starch - then drain well.
- Place rice in a saucepan with the water and bring to the boil with a lid on. Turn heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sit for 10 mintes. Turn rice into a non metal bowl and fluff gently with a spatula.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a microwave safe jug and heat on high for 30 seconds. Stir and heat for another 30 seconds.
- Pour over warm rice and gently turn a few times - set aside for rice to cool (refrigerate if in a hot climate).
- In a frypan heat oil and cook chicken breasts through. Cut into slices and set aside.
- Lay a nori sheet shiny side down and place rice on sheet and spread to 1cm (0.4in) thick, leaving a edge for rolling up.
- In the centre place a row of chicken and then a row of cucumber. Brush with a tiny amount of wasabi.
- Roll sheet from the bottom up and squeeze gently. Wrap in clingfilm and refridgerate until needed.
- Cut slices to desired thickness and serve with soy sauce.