1/5 Photos of Sushi Layers
2 hrs 30 mins
A friend makes these and they are delicious!! Wonderful appetizer from Company's Coming, Cooking for Diabetics. Chill time is cook time. Diabetic choices: 1/2 starch = 1 - 1 1/2 square
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups short-grain rice (or Pearl)
- 1/4 cup rice wine (sake) or 1/4 cup dry sherry (sake)
- 2 medium lemons, sliced paper thin and seeded
- 1 tablespoon small caper, drained and rinsed
- 1 (3 ounce) package of paper thin slices smoked salmon
- 8 ounces small cooked shrimp
- 4 nori
- 1 1/2 cups cucumbers, with peel, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cucumber)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1Bring water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil in medium saucepan.
- 2Stir in rice.
- 3Reduce heat, cover, simmer 15 to 20 minutes until water absorbed and rice is cooked.
- 4Stir in rice wine.
- 5Cool to room temperature.
- 6Makes about 8 cups rice.
- 7Line 9 x 13 inch pan with plastic wrap.
- 8Arrange thin even layer of lemon slices in bottom of pan.
- 9Sprinkle with capers.
- 10Cover 1/2 of pan with smoked salmon and 1/2 with shrimp.
- 11Using wet hands, pack about 2 1/2 cups cooked rice in an even layer on top.
- 12Lay 2 sheets of nori, trimmed to fit in single layer, on rice.
- 13Cover nori with cucumber and green onion.
- 14Pack 2 1/2 cups rice on top.
- 15Layer carrot and red pepper.
- 16Cover with remaining rice.
- 17Lay 2 sheets of nori, trimmed to fit in single layer, on rice.
- 18Cover with plastic wrap directly on surface.
- 19Set another 9 x 13 inch pan on sushi and press down firmly to compress layers evenly.
- 20Chill 2 hours.
- 21Remove top plastic wrap.
- 22Invert sushi onto cutting surface.
- 23Remove remaining plastic wrap.
- 24Use sharp, wet, clean knife for each cut.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sushi Layers
Serving Size: 1 (2539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 39.3
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 64.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: