Recipe by Mirj
I adore sushi, but my BH refuses to even look at it, let alone eat it. I thought he was squeamish about the fish, but after I made some vegetarian sushi he still wouldn't go near it (yay, more for me). It turns out that the seaweed also gives him the heebie jeebies. Here's a recipe that even the sushi sissies will go for.
Top Review by yogi
What a great idea! These turned out very well. I can't always find the seaweed wraps so this is an easy alternative for me. I added cilantro, tofu, spinach, scallions and red pepper, and steamed the carrot and pepper just a little first. Before rolling I also added a sauce of wasabi and tamari mixed together. Thankyou so much! Now I can eat these anytime.
- 1 cup cooked white rice, still hot
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (peferably rice vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 slices cucumbers, long and thin
- 8 slices carrots, long and thin
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the vinegar and sugar to the rice, and mix well.
- The purpose in this is not just to mix the flavors into the rice, but also to cool the rice just a little bit.
- Soften each leaf of lettuce by dipping it into boiling water for just a few seconds, until it can be easily rolled.
- Remove the lettuce from the water with tongs (unless you have asbestos fingers), and place flat, internal side down, on a kitchen towel to drain.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of rice in the center of each leaf.
- Top with a cucumber strip and with a carrot strip.
- Fold the sides of the leaf over the rice, and then roll the ends up over the filling to form a tight and compact bundle.
- Continue with the other 7 lettuce leaves, making 8"sushi" bundles in all.
- Place in a single layer on a dish and chill until serving time.
- Allow at leave 15 minutes chilling time.