Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Susan Branch's "Summer" Book . . . a delicious family favorite!
- 7 large potatoes, boiled & peeled
- 7 eggs, hard-boiled & peeled
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 3⁄4 cups minced onions
- 3⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 3 -4 celery ribs, diced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground pepper
- Slice potatoes into a large serving bowl.
- Coarsely chop eggs with the potatoes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Pour dressing over potatoes and eggs, stir gently to coat all.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
This is the potato salad that my mom has been making for years- and is my favorite by far! I substitute diced cucumber for the celery (not sure if it's in the original recipe or not, but it is on the handwritten copy I have) and it is the part that just makes it for me! And judging from the comments I get every time I make this for guests, it is often the part that sets this potato salad apart for everyone else too.
Very delicious. This recipe is similar to the recipe I prepare for my family. I have always liked celery seeds in my potatoe salad. I halved the recipe since it was made for just my DH and myself. Prepared for the January 2008 Photo Swap.