Prep 12 hrs
Cook 45 mins
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 cups buttermilk (lukewarm)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup lard
- 8 cups whole wheat flour, freshly ground
- In a small bowl, dissolve the 1 tablespoons honey into the warm water, sprinkle 2 tablespoons yeast over the top and stir. Let stand until frothy.
- In the mixer's bowl, mix the eggs, salt, 1/4 cup honey and lard. Add the lukewarm milk and 3 cups flour. Stir and add yeast. Continue to stir about 3-4 minutes, until well blended. with mixer on, add remaining 5 cups of flour one at a time. Let mix well after each addition. Let knead with bread hook for 10 minutes.
- Let rest for 15 minutes. After the dough has rested, punch down and knead 10 more minutes with dough hook. Divide dough into 2 halves and shape into loaves. Place into 2 loaf pans and press down with hands to fill corners of pans. Cover with a clean muslin towel and let rise/soak in a warm, draft free area for 12-24 hours.
- After bread has soaked for required time, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 40-45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove one loaf from a pan and tap the bottom of the loaf with your finger. If it sounds hollow, the bread is finished. Remove immediately from pans and place on wire racks to cool.