Recipe by Debber
Make this the day before you need it and re-heat right before serving time. Thanks to Susan Branch ("Autumn") for this wonderful recipe. On the day of serving, prepare your "serving bowl" by baking a hollowed out pumpkin (remove seeds & stringy gunk, scrape as dry as possible); rub outside with veg oil and roast for 20 minutes; fill with hot stew, set lid slightly cocked, and serve! COOKING TIME does NOT include overnight sitting.
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 6 sprig parsley
- 2 sprig rosemary (3-inch sprigs)
- 3 sprig thyme (3-inch sprigs)
- orange zest
- 59.16 ml oil
- 1360.77 g beef, 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 113.39 g can tomato paste (use half)
- 118.29 ml flour
- 709.77 ml beef broth
- 473.18 ml red wine (pinot noir)
- 3 parsnips, peeled & sliced
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 709.77 ml butternut squash, cubed
- 4535.92-5443.10 g fresh pumpkin
Directions See How It's Made
- Put bouquet garni ingredients in the center of a square of cheesecloth; set aside.
- Pour 1 T of the oil into a hot pot (covered casserole), brown beef quickly over high heat, add more oil as needed; set beef aside.
- In same pot, with another tablespoon of oil, cook onion until soft; add garlic & paste; stir & cook 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle & stir flour over this, then add broth & wine; stir well to scrape up fond.
- Add veggies, meat & bouquet garni; cover & simmer over LOW heat for about 2 hours; stir occasionally.
- Taste & season with salt & pepper.
- Cool; cover & chill overnight.
- Reheat & serve as noted in description (above).