2 hrs 35 mins
Make this the day before you need it and re-heat right before serving time. Thanks to Susan Branch ("Autumn") for this wonderful recipe. On the day of serving, prepare your "serving bowl" by baking a hollowed out pumpkin (remove seeds & stringy gunk, scrape as dry as possible); rub outside with veg oil and roast for 20 minutes; fill with hot stew, set lid slightly cocked, and serve! COOKING TIME does NOT include overnight sitting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 6 sprig parsley
- 2 sprig rosemary (3-inch sprigs)
- 3 sprig thyme (3-inch sprigs)
- orange zest
- 59.16 ml oil
- 1360.77 g beef, 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 113.39 g can tomato paste (use half)
- 118.29 ml flour
- 709.77 ml beef broth
- 473.18 ml red wine (pinot noir)
- 3 parsnips, peeled & sliced
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 709.77 ml butternut squash, cubed
- 4535.92-5443.10 g fresh pumpkin
- 1Put bouquet garni ingredients in the center of a square of cheesecloth; set aside.
- 2Pour 1 T of the oil into a hot pot (covered casserole), brown beef quickly over high heat, add more oil as needed; set beef aside.
- 3In same pot, with another tablespoon of oil, cook onion until soft; add garlic & paste; stir & cook 2 minutes.
- 4Sprinkle & stir flour over this, then add broth & wine; stir well to scrape up fond.
- 5Add veggies, meat & bouquet garni; cover & simmer over LOW heat for about 2 hours; stir occasionally.
- 6Taste & season with salt & pepper.
- 7Cool; cover & chill overnight.
- 8Reheat & serve as noted in description (above).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Susan's Harvest Stew
Serving Size: 1 (868 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1543.7
- Calories from Fat 1157
- Total Fat 128.6 g
- Saturated Fat 51.4 g
- Cholesterol 168.5 mg
- Sodium 533.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 24.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: