Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mom taught me how to make potato salad and she NEVER put sweet pickles in it. Always used dill pickles. I have had many compliments and requests to make this salad for get togethers.
- 5 lbs potatoes (russet or white potatoes are best)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped small
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 dozen hard-boiled egg, cut in bite sized pieces
- 4 -5 med-large dill pickles, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pepper (more or less)
- 2 -3 tablespoons mustard (I like guldens brown)
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 cup Best Foods Mayonnaise (or more to taste)
- Bake potatoes (microwave or oven) as they don't get soggy like boiled ones, cool to handle. Peel and cut in large chunks.
- Use large bowl to mix potatoes, celery, pickles, onion and eggs. Mix carefully so as not to mash potatoes.
- Mix dressing by mixing last 4 ingredients together in a small bowl or just add to salad bowl & mix. Stir to coat all ingredients and taste for saltiness.
- Chill several hours or overnight. Taste for seasoning & add more of anything you like (salt, mustard, pickles, olives etc). If too dry add more mayo.
Not tried this, but I but in my Mother's version there is no onion, she used only red potatoes, and skin on, and added kosher salami, which is diced: incredibly combination
So very delicious! Make this one for sure! Do decrease the onion. I used green onions.
This is an outstanding potato salad! This is what you expect that a really good potato salad should taste. Sometimes, you get sick of eating regular potato salad, but this keeps you coming back for more. I followed this exactly, and used the 4 serving measurement, which was perfect. Thanks for posting such a good tasting, perfect salad!