Recipe by Debber
Susan Branch has the most delightful books (and illustrations) filled with the most interesting recipes and home-making ideas. This recipe comes from her "Summer" book, with a few of my own personal changes. Feel free to switch ingredients, more or less, to suit your own tastes. Cooking time is "pressing" the sandwich.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tomatoes, sliced thinly, divided
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, slices
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 4 slices deli turkey (deli-style)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice loaf horizontally, separate.
- Mix mayo and garlic; smear 1/3 over one of the bread halves.
- Layer half of the tomato slices over the mayo.
- Add cheese, lettuce, pepper slices, turkey, 1/2 of remaining dressing, carrots, onion, and remaining tomato slices.
- Spread remaining dressing over remaining bread.
- Put the bread back together, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Place wrapped sandwich on a bread board, put a plate on top of it, and something heavy on top of that--I use a cast iron frying pan (and press it down real firmly, too).
- PICNIC IDEA: Put sandwich in the bottom of your cooler, and weight it down with picnic stuff -- this will achieve the same results!