Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a college friend in the early 1970s. It's still the best molasses cookie recipe I've found. Thanks, Susannah, wherever you are now!
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove (ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream shortening, sugar, eggs, and molasses.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Mix dry ingredients into the shortening mixture.
- Form 1" balls of dough and roll in granulated sugar.
- Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.
I have the same recipe from my Aunt. We call them Sugar and Spice cookies. The only difference is we use 3/4 teaspoon cloves intstead of 1/4 teaspoon. All other measurements are the same. These are by far the best molasses cookie I have ever had. I also have friends request the recipe whenever I make them. They make the house smell wonderful too!