Recipe by RedVinoGirl
This was my mom's basic recipe for stuffed peppers that I have significantly altered and chosen to "unstuff". I always found that the sauce didn't permeate the meat when I stuffed it and it wasn't as flavorful. I tried this recipe unstuffed when I had way more meat than peppers but didn't want to waste the meat. I've tweaked and tweaked and came up with this. My husband (the stuffed pepper hater) LOVES this! It's also the ONLY meal that my 2 and 4 year old ask for 2nd's and 3rd on! To me...it's total delicious comfort food. Yes, this isn't traditional stuffed peppers. But I think you may even like this one a lot better! I choose to microwave the green peppers for a bit to ensure they are nice and soft but you may add them to the pot with the meatballs and cook them that way if you choose. This is best served over white rice. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Ck2plz
Super yummy! I cut up the green peppers and put them in a zip lock bag with about 2T water and nuked for 4-6 minutes. I like the "meatball style." I will decrease the garlic next time. I will also use on can of tomato soup and 2 cans of tomato bisque. My family(DH mainly) likes it a bit sweeter. Definitely use a big pan!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (I add more)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, must like the BBQ sauce to like this dish (I only use Tony Roma's or Open Pit)
- 1⁄3 cup Minute Rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I use Garli Garni)
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 large green peppers, sliced thinly
- 3 (14 ounce) cans tomato bisque soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine the first 9 ingredients (onions through black pepper) and roll into 1/2 inch balls.
- Bake in oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepot, simmer the Tomato Bisgue and 2 cans (soup cans) of water.
- Add more garlic pepper, crushed red peppers and pepper to taste.
- Microwave the green peppers for 6 minutes (with saran wrap enclosing them to allow them to steam) and add to the sauce.
- Drop in the meatballs.
- Let simmer for 40 minutes at slight boil.