Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
from class of 1985 armed forces college staff cookbook
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs flank steaks, 1 in. thick
- 2 eggs, omelet... flat
- 3 slices swiss cheese
- 1 medium onion
- salt and pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) frozen spinach
- 4 -5 slices boiled ham
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 10 basil leaves, fresh (or 1 tsp. dired)
- 8 ounces white wine (CHEAP)
- Place meat on flat surface and butterfly cut into 1/2 in thick pieces. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer omelet, spinach, ham, and cheese on top of meat.
- Gentely roll and tuck in all sides.
- Tie with strings.
- In Dutch oven, or deep pan brown in olive oil on all sides.
- Add wine and raise temperature slightly; add onions and basil leaves. Cook covered, low heat, stirring occasionally for 1 hour.