carrie sheridan's Note:
I remember these from 36 years ago--they're That Good. And you can use 3 of the egg whites to make Chocolate Meringue Christmas Cookies -- a Recipe from the Early that I've also posted, that are outstanding and memorable!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2With an electric mixer (even the hand-held kind), cream together the butter and the sugar.
- 3Add egg yolks and vanilla and mix well.
- 4Sift flour and salt together, shaking back and forth in a fine sieve.
- 5Beat into the butter mixture until well-mixed.
- 6When ready to bake, use an ungreased cookie sheet and place the cookies 1 inch apart.
- 7Bake for about 10 minutes and DO NOT BROWN THEM.
- 8Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet while still warm and cool on sheets of waxed paper.
- 9Decorate if you like:.
- 10Shape dough into a roll the width of a cookie.
- 11Wrap in waved paper and chill.
- 12Before baking, roll in chocolate shots.
- 13Slice 1/2 inch thick and bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350° for 10 minutes. Do Not Brown.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Susan Branch's Butter Cookies - the Best (Really)
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.2
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 86.5 mg
- Sodium 62.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 3.5 g