Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I remember these from 36 years ago--they're That Good. And you can use 3 of the egg whites to make Chocolate Meringue Christmas Cookies -- a Recipe from the Early that I've also posted, that are outstanding and memorable!
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- With an electric mixer (even the hand-held kind), cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift flour and salt together, shaking back and forth in a fine sieve.
- Beat into the butter mixture until well-mixed.
- When ready to bake, use an ungreased cookie sheet and place the cookies 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes and DO NOT BROWN THEM.
- Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet while still warm and cool on sheets of waxed paper.
- Decorate if you like:.
- Shape dough into a roll the width of a cookie.
- Wrap in waved paper and chill.
- Before baking, roll in chocolate shots.
- Slice 1/2 inch thick and bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350° for 10 minutes. Do Not Brown.
Oh boy are these good!!! I made a half recipe and formed the dough into a log to cut and bake the next day. I cut them 1/2 inch thick and baked for about 14 minutes. They were very fragile right out of the oven so I let them cool completely on the cookie sheet which worked out very well. I also used the Kerry Irish Gold butter and these cookies are so good I won't use anything else for fear of ruining them! Thank you for sharing this incredible recipe.