Recipe by emtpixie
I re-invented the wheel here. I looked at the taco salad in my favorite Mexican restaurant and thought I could make a simpler, healthier, more flavorful version at home. I was also determined to come up with something that is fairly quick to make, especially if you enlist a little help from the rest of the peanut gallery!
Top Review by VickyJ
This was a good meal. I made it for one, though. I mixed the salsa in with the beef, used lite sour cream and added some red onion. Thank you for the tasty dinner! I will make this again! :)
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey or 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 head lettuce
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 cups cheddar cheese or 4 cups shredded taco blend cheese
- 1 (24 ounce) container sour cream or 1 (24 ounce) container low-fat sour cream
- 1 (24 ounce) jar salsa, either mild,medium,or hot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground turkey or beef and garlic (minced) in skillet over medium heat.
- Drain any grease away.
- Meanwhile shred the head of lettuce into small pieces and dice tomatoes to desired size.
- When meat and garlic mixture is done, add salt and pepper, stir.
- Break tortilla chips up into desired size and place in individual serving bowls.
- Add desired amount of meat to bowls, followed by desired amounts of lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream and salsa.
- Serve and enjoy.
- note: I sometimes use more tomato, but it's really up to your personal taste.