Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I re-invented the wheel here. I looked at the taco salad in my favorite Mexican restaurant and thought I could make a simpler, healthier, more flavorful version at home. I was also determined to come up with something that is fairly quick to make, especially if you enlist a little help from the rest of the peanut gallery!
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey or 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 head lettuce
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 cups cheddar cheese or 4 cups shredded taco blend cheese
- 1 (24 ounce) container sour cream or 1 (24 ounce) container low-fat sour cream
- 1 (24 ounce) jar salsa, either mild,medium,or hot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- tortilla chips
- Brown ground turkey or beef and garlic (minced) in skillet over medium heat.
- Drain any grease away.
- Meanwhile shred the head of lettuce into small pieces and dice tomatoes to desired size.
- When meat and garlic mixture is done, add salt and pepper, stir.
- Break tortilla chips up into desired size and place in individual serving bowls.
- Add desired amount of meat to bowls, followed by desired amounts of lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream and salsa.
- Serve and enjoy.
- note: I sometimes use more tomato, but it's really up to your personal taste.
This was a good meal. I made it for one, though. I mixed the salsa in with the beef, used lite sour cream and added some red onion. Thank you for the tasty dinner! I will make this again! :)
I used extra ground beef mixture from some beef enchiladas. It had been cooked with onions, cumin, chili powder, garlic and a bit of salsa. I had blue corn chips on hand and added guacamole to the toppings. Loved it. With the leftover meat, it couldn't have been easier.
Really good, easy weeknight fare. DH started browning the beef for me; he added diced onions, tomatoes, bell pepper. We cut the recipe in half with ease. Left off the chips, but used the chopped tomatoes, cheese & sour cream on top as well as a dollop of fresh guacamole I made by mashing 1 avocado with some lime juice, garlic & minced onion. Very tasty, very filling! Thank you :)