Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this for my vegetarian boyfriend, who is rather fussy, and he loved it. I'm not vegetarian and I loved it too. It's worth fiddling with the quantities, this is just the one I whipped up last night
- 1 (8 ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 100 g wheat gluten vegetarian mincemeat
- 1 small diced brown onion
- 5 large mushrooms, halved then sliced
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs (oregano, basil, marjoram)
- 1⁄4 cup almond meal
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- herbal salt substitute
- Combine the lentils, beans and mince in a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients and stir through thoroughly.
- Add the 2 beaten eggs and stir with spoon, and then finally bind the mixture using your clean hands.
- Line a baking tray with paper, spray with cooking oil, then gradually add handfuls of the mix to the middle of the tray, shaping and pressing it into the shape of a meatloaf.
- Drizzle the loaf with a little olive oil and cook in moderate oven for about 50 minutes.
- We had this with baked celery potatoes, carrots, steamed beans and broccoli and vegetarian gravy. Deee-licious!