Recipe by afr0bunny
a different twist on baked ziti
Top Review by Cookin-jo
What a great variation on baked ziti! We loved the pesto flavour, and I'd probably add even more pesto next time. I had a couple of minor problems with the recipe. The ricotta mixture was a bit on the dry side - I would moisten it with some cream or milk next time. Also, the ingredient list states 1/2 cup of mozzarella, but the ricotta mixture needs 1 cup. I assume that the list should state 1 1/2 cups, 1 cup for the ricotta mixture and 1/2 cup for topping. With a moister cheese layer and corrections to the recipe this would be at least 4 stars. Thank you for a great twist on baked ziti.
- 1⁄2 lb ziti pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (for this recipe i use cento tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup store bought pesto sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350.
- oil an 8x8 baking dish.
- cook pasta in salted water for 7 min, drain, and tinse.
- heat 1 1/2 tbsp of the oil in a pan over med- low heat.
- cook onion until it becomes translucent.
- add garlic and cook it for 30 sec.
- add tomato, salt, and bay leaf.
- raise heat to medium.
- simmer mixture for 10 min or until it gets very thick.
- remove the bay leaf and stir in 1/4 tsp pepper.
- in a bowl, combine the pesto, half the parmesan, the ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella, and the remaining black pepper.
- put 1/2 of the pasta in the baking dish.
- top with 1/3 of the sauce.
- spread entire cheese mixture evenly over the sauce.
- cover with the remaining pasta, sauce, and cheese.
- drizzle 1/2 tbsp olive oil over the top layer of cheese.
- bake until bubbling (about 30 min).
- let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting.