Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a Toad In the Hole with a twist
- 1 large onion
- 1 large cooking apple
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (chopped) or 1 teaspoon fresh sage (chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1⁄2 pint cider
- Peel the Onion and the Apple and slice fairly finely.
- Put the Oil in a Roasting Tin and add the Onion and Apple.
- Stir the sliced Apples and Onions around to coat them lightly with the Oil.
- Lay the Sausages out on top of the Onions and Apple and bake them in a moderately hot oven 375 Deg F (190 deg C) for about 10 minutes.
- Whilst that is baking make the Batter.
- Sift the Flour, Salt and Pepper into a mixing bowl and add in the Sage.
- Break the Eggs into the Center.
- Add in the Milk and stir the mixture carefully from the center, incorporating all the Flour from around the edges, until the mixture smooth, with no lumps.
- Beat in the Cider.
- Pour this mixture around the Sausages.
- Bake for another 50 minutes and the top is nicely browned.