Prep 7 mins
Cook 10 mins
Scrumptious breakfast patties using leftover Surprise South Beach Mashed "Potatoes," with eggs to defer the protein police. Feel free to add garlic, rosemary, whatever! You may want to steam entire cauliflower head and freeze the extra puree. Then pull out for dinner or add eggs for an easy breakfast.
- 1 cup cauliflower, 1/4 head (or use 1 cup Surprise South Beach Mashed "Potatoes," see a version in South Beach " Mashed Potatoes/Cauliflower", instead of the)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon soy margarine, less if desired
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated carrot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- smidgen nutmeg
- black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil (not olive)
- Steam cauliflower until crisp-tender (about 4 minutes).
- Puree in food processor, slowly adding milk & margarine.
- Transfer to a bowl and beat in eggs.
- Add grated carrot, nutmeg, pepper, sprinkle with nutritional yeast and whip into a thin, creamy batter.
- Heat oil in skillet over high heat, then reduce to med-high. (Cast-iron works best).
- Spoon onto hot skillet, 2 at a time.
- Immediately poke with a fork as if you were cooking an omelet. Cakes are delicate; they will fall apart if you wait and poke them once bubbles form, but if you can leave them alone you'll do fine.
- Flip once, cook until desired texture is reached. Enjoy while hot with tabasco, ketchup, cheese, peanut butter, whatever you please!