Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 cups eggplants, Pared, FinelyChopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, Chopped, 1 Md
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, Minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the meat, eggplant, onion, egg, milk, oats,1 1/2 ts salt and the basil together.
- Spread the mixture into an ungreased baking pan 8 X 8 X 2 or 9 X 9 X 2-inches.
- Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Mix the tomatoes, garlic, cornstarch and 3/4 ts salt in a small saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Cut the meat loaf into squares and top with the tomato sauce when you serve it.
- NOTE: Any type of summer squash can be substituted for the eggplant in this recipe.
Easy and delicious recipe. I substituted ground sausage for the ground beef, and added Monterey Jack cheese on the top for the last 5 min of cooking.