Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This yummy breakfast treat will have you wanting breakfast for all 3 meals a day!
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (pecans work well)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (12 ounce) jar peach preserves
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- In bowl, beat cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until creamy.
- Stir in nuts.
- Cut bread into about 12 slices approximately 1 1/2 inches thick, cutting a slit in each to create a "pocket".
- Fill each pocket with about 1 1/2 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and spices.
- Dip the filled bread "pockets" in the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Cook on griddle or in pan until both sides are browned.
- Heat the preserves and orange juice in a small saucepan, simmering for about 4-5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drizzle orange mixture over French toast and serve.
Wow! Great breakfast (brunch actually!) I did add more sugar (1/2C) to the cream cheese, because it didn't seem sweet and creamy enough to me, but the french toast was very sweet with the sauce, so maybe the extra sugar wasn't needed. My picky son would only put a little sauce in his plate, but once he dipped his toast into it he was begging for more which he poured over his toast. Great recipe!!!!
This recipe could be used as a diabetic by substitution of splenda for sugar, and a fresh squeezed orange for the orange juice.
This is very good although I didn't like the peach topping too well. It tastes great with regular syrup anyway. I have made this when I have company and everyone loved it!