Prep 25 mins
Cook 24 mins
These little gems of cookies are a family tradition. Use any kind of jam you like to fill them. For Christmas, red jam (strawberry or raspberry) and green jam (mint) look cute, but I'm not fond of the taste of mint jelly. But it is festive. But like I said, use whatever floats your boat. :)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fruit jam
- Preheat oven to 300.
- In medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Mix well with whisk and set aside.
- In medium bowl with an electric mixer cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat on medium until smooth. Add the flour mixture and blend at low speed until thoroughly combined. Dough will be firm.
- Scoop tablespoons of dough, roll into 1-inch-diameter balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets, 1 inch apart. Witht he small end of a melon baller, scoop out the center of the dough balls. Be careful to not scoop all the way through the cookie. Place 1/2 teaspoon of jam in the center of each dough ball. Place scooped out dough back into the bowl to use to form more cookies.
- Bake 22-24 minutes or until light golden brown. Transfer to a cool flat surface.