Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Betty Crocker.
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 400°F Grease bottoms only of 12 regular-size muffin cups with spray, or line with paper baking cups. In small bowl, mix all filling ingredients until smooth; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat milk, oil and egg with fork or wire whisk. Stir in remaining muffin ingredients just until flour is moistened. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Place about 1 rounded teaspoon filling on batter in each muffin cup. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan to cooling rack (may need to run knife around side of muffins to loosen). Cool 5 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
Super Star!!! Made it exactly as stated, enjoyed immensely and have been told to add this to the KEEPER file. Actually this will become my new FIRST STRING muffin recipe! These muffins rise beautifully, get a nice crusty edge which has a delightful chewiness; not to mention the incredible (and easy to make) cream-cheese filling. Mmm.....mmm.....mmm!!!
Delicious 'surprise' muffins. The only thing I did different was to use 2% milk, personal preference. I greased the muffin cups with Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!) which works terrific for any pan greasing for baking. Delicious muffins that I will make again. Might even try changing the 'surprise' to cream cheese and some strawberry or raspberry jam but of course that would add to the calories wouldn't it!
Well, darn it, these were a little disappointing. I followed this recipe to the letter and my muffins ended up very very dry. Part of the problem may have been that these were done before they started to turn golden. I checked them after 20 minutes and the tops still looked a little wet as well as not being done by the touch test. I know I did not over mix these, but I still did not get nice high peaks, mine ended up quite flat. The flavor was nice and I think we would have loved them had the texture not been so dry.