Prep 30 mins
Cook 32 mins
Great carrot cake
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 teaspoons butter or 6 teaspoons margarine, at room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray two 9-inch round cake pans generously with no-stick spray with flour.
- Combine cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and allspice in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, eggs and crushed pineapple with juice. Add dry ingredient to the large bowl, beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in carrots and pecans. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Beat room temperature cream cheese, butter and vanilla in mixer bowl with electric mixer until well combined. Gradually add powdered sugar . Add milk by tablespoonful until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Place one cake layer topside down on serving plate. Spread with frosting . Top with remaining cake layer, topside up. Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.