Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
If you enjoy Carrot cake - you'll enjoy this carrot cake with a surprise. Easily put together and the end result is amazing. It's a carrot cake with a Twist, sure to please.
Top Review by Mareesme
The unusual combination of ingredients in such a delicious dessert deserves 5* because of the chef's creativity. The warmed apple topping would probably taste great over vanilla ice cream too!
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooking apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped (3 or 4, 3 1/2 Cups)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- 2 medium red baking apples, cored, cut into 3/2 inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 9x13 pan; set aside. Stir together Sugar, spice, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add Sugar mixture; beat until combined. Add eggs and vanilla, beat until Combined. Stir in apples, raisins, lemon juice and carrots. Stir in four Until combined. Spread in pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers Come out clean. Cool in pan.
- Apple Topping:.
- Core 2 medium red cooking apples; cut into 3/4 inch wedges. In large skillet Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and apples.
- Cook over medium heat about 8 minutes or just until tender; stir Occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Add apple topping to cake.