Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from Breads of the World. Posted for ZWT6. Best if made a day ahead of serving.
Top Review by weekend cooker
I loved this !!! Adding the buttermilk really added flavor to this.. Hardly make homemade bread, but was this something special. Perfect as to softness, flavor, and texture, as this is a real treasure of a recipe. Made for your win in TIC - TAC- TOE..
- 3 cups rye flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sift flours, baking soda and baking powder together.
- Add salt, fennel, anise and cumin.
- Stir in syrup and buttermilk, stirring until well blended.
- Pour into a greased 9" cake pan.
- Bake 1 hour, or until top is browned and cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from pan, wrap in a towel, and cool.