Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
On a recent Holland-American cruise, old-fashioned bread pudding was one of the staples of the dessert buffet. It was much more popular than other exotic offerings.. This is my approximation of their recipe.
- 7 slices of slightly stale raisin bread, thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups homogenized milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dried fruit (raisins, chopped apricots, dried cranberries are all good) (optional)
- Lavishly butter the bread slices on one side and cut in half.
- Layer the bread, butter side down, in an ungreased baking dish sprinkling the dried fruit between layers (if using) Combine eggs and sugars and beat, gradually adding milk.
- Stir in vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
- Pour over the bread placing a plate on top to prevent the bread from floating.
- Cover and let stand in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Bake, covered, in 350 F oven for 1/2 hour and then uncover and bake 1/2 hour longer.
- Serve warm with any fruit sauce or vanilla ice cream.