Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are very good. I used butter flavored shortening, for that extra butter flavor, but it's up to your individual tastes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of dry mixture; add the buttermilk all at once. Stir buttermilk into flour mixture until mixture forms soft dough that leaves sides of bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Turn out dough onto well-floured surface. Knead dough 10 times; roll into 8 inch square. Cut dough into sixteen 2 inch squares. Place the dough squares 1 1/2 inches apart on large ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until biscuits are light golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove biscuits from baking sheets and serve warm.