Recipe by TinyBubbles
Something a little different to do with chicken breasts, fancy enough for company, but not too time consuming for a weeknight. I would serve with wild rice and a nice veg, maybe asparagus.
Top Review by vestspeechteacher
I forgot to fry them to make them pretty and brown and I used shredded colby jack cheese! That was all that I had on hand. These were so good! The chicken came out moist and the sauce was really very good and easy to make. I will be making these again soon. Thanks for the recipe.
- 4 large chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 4 slices ham, cooked
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 egg, lighlt beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 lb mushroom, quartered
- 1 teaspoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Butterfly the breasts, spread open, and pound to 1/2-inch thickness.Top each breast with slice ham and slice cheese, tucking in any protruding ends.
- Brush the edges of each breast with egg, fold in half and seal in the ham and cheese. (save remaining egg).
- Pat the outside of the chicken dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter in skillet over med-high until the foam subsides. Meanwhile, brush more egg onto the seam of each breast. then dredge in flour, shaking off the excess.
- Saute chicken, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 4 minutes each side. Remove from skillet, cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining Tbsp butter to skillet and saute mushrooms and shallot, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine to deglaze the pan. And cook till reduced by half, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add cream and simmer, stirring occasionallt, until reduced by half, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in any juices that have accumulated on the chicken plate, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken topped with sauce, garnish with chopped flat-leaf parsley, if desired.