Recipe by Cookin'withGas
Sure you could use one of those recipes that use cream-of-whatever' soup as a 'shortcut'...But try this one anyway, it's much nicer...Just follow the directions and don't rush the process...The end result is really very good and with a tossed salad you've got a nice meal!
Top Review by DeeCooks
This was good!!! I was worried because I'd never used mayo like that in a sauce, but it really worked. I did add about a tablespoon of dijon mustard to the cheese sauce and I thought that really pumped it up. The second time I layered no boil lasagne and it was fantastic! It was definitely a family pleaser. Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (4 ounce) package low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups Minute Rice (NOT regular rice)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (Kraft Reduced Fat)
- 1 lb turkey breast, sliced and uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together the mayonnaise and flour over LOW heat until smooth (1 min.?).
- Gradually stream in milk, whisking constantly, over MED heat until the mixture is thick (but not too thick -- you want a sauce, NOT a custard/pudding).
- Add the cheddar cheese and continue stirring until it's melted.
- Layer the broccoli and the uncooked MINUTE rice (NOT regular rice) in a 12 X 8 baking dish.
- Top with half of the sauce; sprinkle 1/2 of the parmesan over the sauce.
- Arrange the turkey slices over it next; then the remaining sauce; then the remaining parmesan.
- Bake in the preheated 350°F oven for 30-35 min or until the turkey is cooked (170° with a meat thermometer) through and the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Variation: Use Chicken in place of the turkey for 'chicken divan'.
- Variation: You can use a different vegetable, but as the recipe is specifically geared towards using broccoli, the recipe may not come out correctly.