Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another healthy recipe from the CA Department of Public Health.
Make and share this Supreme Mashed Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Combine potatoes and carrots in a large pot and fill with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and reduce heat to simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Drain and keep 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Mash the potatoes and carrots with a hand masher.
- Combine chicken broth and butter in a small pan; heat over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Slowly stir broth mixture into the mashed potatoes and carrots.
- If nacessary, add the reserved cooking liquid until the potatoes reach the desired thickness. Server while hot.
This one is a hard star assignment for me. I loved it as made by the directions using some shredded carrot that I had left from making a carrot salad earlier in the day. DH said that he "might give it 3" until he went and got a big spoonful of butter to add to his serving and saying after tasting "now this isn't bad". So there you have it, the marriage of the hedonist and the more health conscious cook. I split my 5 and his 3 for a 4. Loved the garlic and chicken. stock.
I was surprised at the creaminess of this potato dish. I added fresh ground black pepper & a tiny bit of salt, but otherwise followed the recipe. The garlic flavor was a plus. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
My DS is no fan of potatoes, so since he could eat solids, I have been making mash potatoes with carrots ( sometimes sweet potato and parsnip too) to get him to eat them.
I loved the idea of the chicken stock to " creamy" them up and a bit, and it worked so beautifully....definitely one to hang onto, as the entire family demolished the lot!!
Made and reviewed as a THANK YOU for tagging in PRMR during the recent TIC-TAC-TOE event.