Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this recipe from the first cookbook I ever bought. I was right out of high school and had never attempted anything more difficult than a grilled-cheese sandwich. But when I tried this recipe, I fell in love with cooking. This was also the very first time I had ever tried lasagna. Now when ever anyone hears I am cooking lasagna I have a house-full for dinner!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb cream-style cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked lasagna noodles, cooked, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook meats, onion and garlic in large skillet over med-high heat until meat is brown, stirring to separate meat; drain fat.
- Add tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, basil and marjoram.
- Reduce heat to low, cover; simmer 15 minutes, stirring often. Stir in mushrooms, set aside.
- Beat eggs in large bowl; add cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place 1/2 of the noodles in bottom of greased 13x9-inch pan.
- Spread 1/2 of cheese mixture over noodles, 1/2 of meat mixture and 1/2 of cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
- Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Note: I almost always substitute fresh mushrooms for canned, and sometimes substitute Italian seasoning for the basil and morjaram. I wanted to post the original recipe, but I think these substitutions make the recipe better.