Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From taste of home. Sounds like a yummy, fairly easy dessert.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) carton whipped cream cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In a bowl, whisk cocoa and water until smooth; stir in buttermilk.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until light. Add 1/2 cup confectioners sugar; mix well. Add the vanilla, cream and remaining sugar; beat until frosting reaches desired consistency. Place one cooled cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the frosting. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with maraschino cheeries and mint if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.