Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is an easy biscuit recipe that turns out perfectly every time I make them.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chilled vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Place oven rack in the top third of the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add shortening and cut in with pastry blender until the mixture is mealy.
- Gradually add buttermilk, stirring with a wooden spoon just until the dough is soft and slightly sticky. Do not over mix!
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Using a light touch, turn the edges toward the middle, pressing with your hands. Press the dough out 1/2 inch thick and cut straight down with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Pat the scraps together and cut out more rounds.
- Arrange on a baking sheet no more than 1/2 inch apart and bake until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
The biscuits did turn out well. Though, I found the dough too sticky to press out and needed to add a little more flour. They have a more soft than flaky interior.