Recipe by Pietro
This is a delicious beef casserole that is enhanced with the use of a good red wine. The recipe is simple and you can make it the day before. Perfect for those cold winter nights.
- 1 kg of good quality beef steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 30 g butter
- 3 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 brown onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- seasoning, to taste
- 125 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from meat and cut into cubes.
- Heat butter and oil in heavy based saucepan and brown meat.
- Remove meat from pan and saute bacon, onion and garlic in the pan drippings.
- Stir in flour and allow to brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in stock, wine,bay leaf,thyme,seasoning.
- Return the meat to pan and simmer for about 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for a further 15 minutes and serve sprinkled with parsley.