Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a delicious beef casserole that is enhanced with the use of a good red wine. The recipe is simple and you can make it the day before. Perfect for those cold winter nights.
- 1 kg of good quality beef steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 30 g butter
- 3 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 brown onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- seasoning, to taste
- 125 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped parsley
- Trim fat from meat and cut into cubes.
- Heat butter and oil in heavy based saucepan and brown meat.
- Remove meat from pan and saute bacon, onion and garlic in the pan drippings.
- Stir in flour and allow to brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in stock, wine,bay leaf,thyme,seasoning.
- Return the meat to pan and simmer for about 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for a further 15 minutes and serve sprinkled with parsley.
Made this recipe today and enjoyed it real well. Served with mashed potatoes and cooked carrots. Great.
10 stars!!!! Wonderful!!! Reminded me of my beef burgundy but took 1/2 the time. We served this over wide egg noodles. This will be made often. I made this with Damper bread. Thanks for a fabulous recipe!!!!!!