Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This delicious breakfast-style casserole is hearty and savory enough to serve anytime of the day. Recipe is from Carnation. Note: For just the 4 of us, I usually halve this recipe and bake in a 9x9 baking dish.
- 1 lb hot bulk pork sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 green onions (green parts only, sliced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 9 slices Italian bread (cut into 1/2-inch cubes) or 9 slices French bread, cubed (cut into 1/2-inch cubes, total of 8 cups cubed)
- Preheat oven to 350º F; grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine milk, eggs, sausage, cheese, red pepper, green onions, onion powder and garlic powder in large bowl.
- Add bread cubes, stirring gently to moisten bread.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm.
- TIPS: Substitute pre-cooked, sliced sausage links for bulk pork sausage to save time.
- Substitute multi-grain bread for Italian or French bread.
Easy to do, great to eat -- similar to many other strata-type casseroles (which we love), comfort food suitable for breakfast or a relaxed supper. Stated time and temperature gave us a perfect result, slightly browned, firm and easy to cut into squares for serving. Made for Holiday Tag, Nov. 2008.