Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is comfort food that my Gram always made growing up. It's easy and very kid-friendly. I usually cut the recipe in half and use a mini loaf. It's best when the layer of meat is no more than 1/2 inch thick. My Gram used Accent seasoning. I like a dash of garlic powder & italian seasoning. I criss-cross 2 inch sliced strips of American Cheese singels across the top of the meat the last 5 minutes of baking. I serve it with a salad and it's the perfect dinner on a cold night.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated or 5 -7 slices American cheese, singles
- Combine ingredients, except cheese.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread mixture on top.
- Wrap in foil, leaving meat uncovered to prevent bread from becoming hard.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake @ 350 for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with crisscrossed 2 inch strips of cheese singles or shredded cheddar cheese and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Cut into 3 inch slices and serve. Eat it with your hands like garlic bread!
My grandma always made this too! It is one of my favorites and it always reminds me of her. We are from northern Michigan. I always wondered where she got the recipie. Did your gram every tell you where she found it?