Recipe by KadesMom
This is comfort food that my Gram always made growing up. It's easy and very kid-friendly. I usually cut the recipe in half and use a mini loaf. It's best when the layer of meat is no more than 1/2 inch thick. My Gram used Accent seasoning. I like a dash of garlic powder & italian seasoning. I criss-cross 2 inch sliced strips of American Cheese singels across the top of the meat the last 5 minutes of baking. I serve it with a salad and it's the perfect dinner on a cold night.
Top Review by michiganer
My grandma always made this too! It is one of my favorites and it always reminds me of her. We are from northern Michigan. I always wondered where she got the recipie. Did your gram every tell you where she found it?
- 1 loaf French bread
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated or 5 -7 slices American cheese, singles
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ingredients, except cheese.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread mixture on top.
- Wrap in foil, leaving meat uncovered to prevent bread from becoming hard.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake @ 350 for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with crisscrossed 2 inch strips of cheese singles or shredded cheddar cheese and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Cut into 3 inch slices and serve. Eat it with your hands like garlic bread!