Recipe by Hey Jude
This is tasty, but not exactly diet food and lately I've made it with ground turkey, rather than beef. I like to make this when we're vacationing at our cabin in the woods. I found this years ago in a newspaper, don't remember which one, but it was sent in by a Jane Achterberg from Wisconsin.
Top Review by tarheelfan50
Wow..my mom passed away a few years ago and I inherited her recipe box but this recipe was not in it. She used to make this often while we were going up....thanks so much for posting! I will be making this tonight and am hoping MY kids love it as much as my brothers and I did!
- 2 cups grated cheese (American or cheddar)
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup coarse bread or 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf French bread, about 15 inches long (1 lb.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Mix all ingredients, except bread, in a large bowl.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; spread meat mixture on top of cut sides of bread.
- Wrap aluminum foil around the crusty bottom and sides of each bread half, leaving meat mixture uncovered; put onto baking sheet (s).
- Bake until meat is cooked through and bread is crusty, about 35 minutes.