Recipe by datadoll
Old fashioned, tried and true meatloaf for clay pot. Can also be baked in a covered casserole.
Top Review by Susie D
I hadn't used my clay cooker in the longest time so was intrigued when I saw your meatloaf recipe. I was very happy with the result. The meatloaf and potatoes were moist and flavorful. I sliced the potatoes with a mandolin, used half ground turkey and half lean ground beef. This was a terrific comfort food meal!
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄3 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 -4 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak clay pot in water for minimum of 15 minutes.
- Process bread crumbs in food processor.
- Place bread crumbs in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Add milk and toss with fork till evenly moistened.
- Beat egg with fork and add with ketchup and finely chopped onion to breadcrumb mixture.
- Mix with fork until distributed evenly.
- Crumble ground beef over mixture and combine thoroughly mixing with fork.
- Slice potatoes into clay pot that has been lightly sprayed with vegetable oil. Sprinkle seasoned salt and coarse ground pepper over potatoes.
- Handling lightly, shape meatloaf into a loaf and place on top of the potatoes. Form slight indentation to hold saucy topping on top of meatloaf. Cover with sauce.
- Por clay pot: Cover and place in COLD oven. Bake at 450F for 1 hour and 15 minutes. If using something other than a clay pot, place in PREHEATED 350F oven for 1 hour and fifteen minutes.
- Allow meatloaf to rest 5-10 minutes before removing to platter to slice.