Prep 40 mins
Cook 12 mins
Packed with Omega-3’s, protein, and fiber, this date-cocoa-seed bar gets its superpower from good old-fashioned nutrients rather than sugar. The flavors are based on the Chocolate Fudge UltraMeal Rice Bar by Metagenics, but we think it looks and tastes heaps better. Plus, it doesn’t cost $2.50 a pop. Highway robbery never tastes very good. Superpowers are delicious. These are from Chow.com and I am placing them here for safe keeping.
- oil or butter, for coating the pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, raw, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, raw
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ, raw
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, whole
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 cup dried dates, pitted, Medjool (about 6 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup almond butter, smooth, unsalted
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with oil or butter; set aside.
- Place rice cereal, almonds, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, chia seeds, and flax seed meal on a rimmed baking sheet, toss with your hands to combine, and spread in an even layer. Bake, stirring halfway through, until almonds are fragrant and lightly toasted, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place cereal mixture in a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and pulse until the mixture is broken up and the largest pieces are about the size of uncooked grains of rice, about 5 (1-second) pulses. Transfer to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Place dates in the food processor and process until finely chopped and a ball forms, about 15 seconds; set aside.
- Place almond butter, rice syrup, salt, and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until mixture is combined and runs like slow-moving lava, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, immediately add reserved dates and cocoa powder, and, using a wooden spoon, stir, smashing down on the dates, until well combined and no streaks of cocoa remain. Add reserved cereal mixture and stir, pressing as you do, until evenly combined. (This takes some muscle and time, about 5 minutes.) Transfer to the prepared baking pan and, using your hands, spread and firmly press the mixture into the pan. Let cool completely.
- Remove the date-seed slab from the pan. Cut it in half to form two rectangles, then cut each rectangle widthwise into 5 bars to form 10 bars total. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 weeks; let frozen bars come to room temperature before eating.