Recipe by Sharon123
Rich, hot, sweet, and yummy-- adapted from Food & Wine magazine. Lachlan Mackinnon-Patterson created this ultrarich hot chocolate topped with coconut cream for his partner Bobby Stuckey's wife, Danette, who has a sweet tooth.
Top Review by Chef Buggsy Mate
Made this hot chocolate for a treat. We all loved the addition of the coconut cream however; everyone felt the hot chocolate itself was a little too rich. I did not realize that my daughter had used the rest of the marshmallows yesterday in a dessert crepe recipe she created, so we topped our hot chocolate with a tiny dollop of almond flavored whipped cream...making sort of like an "Almond Joy" in a mug. Made and reviewed for the 49th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 2⁄3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (18 ounces)
- marshmallows, for serving (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine the coconut milk and sugar and heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar; keep warm. In a medium saucepan, combine the cream and whole milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chocolate chips and remove from the heat.
- Let stand, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted; whisk until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate into 8 mugs and spoon some of the coconut milk on top.
- Garnish with the marshmallows and serve.