Recipe by Gianni #23
Found this at Sweethealthyliving.com. An amzing young woman with a passion for all things healthy. Storing it here for convenience, I simply HAVE to try a cake made out of kale and pistachios!
Top Review by anderson.j1275
Delicious! Everyone who tried it really enjoyed it. Very moist and flavorful. I used honey and molasses for sweetener and used deglet dates because I couldn't find medjool dates (added extra dates because deglet dates are smaller). Be forwarned - this is a very calorie dense dessert (entire cake has approximately 3800 calories)!
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pistachios
- 6 large medjool dates
- 1⁄2 cup liquid sweetener (I used fruit sweetener)
- 1⁄2 cup mashed avocado (about 1 avocado)
- 2 cups packed washed and blanched kale
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup soft coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup soy milk mixed with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together. In a food processer, process the first 6 wet ingredients until smooth. Add the soy milk mixture and process again. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix thourougly. Oil a 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish with coconut oil and dust flour evenly over the oil. Press the dough into the pan and bake at 350 F or 180 C for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool for 10 minutes then remove cake from pan and let cool completely on a wire wrack. Cut cake in half diagonally and frost with the cashew sour cream frosting in my ebook, or leave cake whole and frost as is.