Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this at Sweethealthyliving.com. An amzing young woman with a passion for all things healthy. Storing it here for convenience, I simply HAVE to try a cake made out of kale and pistachios!
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pistachios
- 6 large medjool dates
- 1⁄2 cup liquid sweetener (I used fruit sweetener)
- 1⁄2 cup mashed avocado (about 1 avocado)
- 2 cups packed washed and blanched kale
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup soft coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup soy milk mixed with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together. In a food processer, process the first 6 wet ingredients until smooth. Add the soy milk mixture and process again. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix thourougly. Oil a 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish with coconut oil and dust flour evenly over the oil. Press the dough into the pan and bake at 350 F or 180 C for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool for 10 minutes then remove cake from pan and let cool completely on a wire wrack. Cut cake in half diagonally and frost with the cashew sour cream frosting in my ebook, or leave cake whole and frost as is.
Delicious! Everyone who tried it really enjoyed it. Very moist and flavorful. I used honey and molasses for sweetener and used deglet dates because I couldn't find medjool dates (added extra dates because deglet dates are smaller). Be forwarned - this is a very calorie dense dessert (entire cake has approximately 3800 calories)!