Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious twist to traditional ziti, it is mild enough that even the kids love it. I am always asked for the recipie when this is served! Excellent served with garlic or fresh italian bread and salad.
- 1 (16 ounce) package ziti pasta (about 6 cups)
- 2 lbs country sausage links or 2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 2 -3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- shredded mozzarella cheese (optional) or parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet cook sausage until no longer pink inside.
- Slice and return to skillet.
- Add mushrooms, green peppers, basil, oregano and garlic powder.
- Cook over med-high heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and onion soup.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can cook ziti according to package directions.
- Toss hot pasta with sauce.
- Sprinkle with either mozzarella or Parmesan cheese.
Loved this dish. I cut back the portions to 4 (side) servings, using 5-6 oz of pasta with only about 4 oz of meat. Ended up sub'ng pepperoni for the sausage. The only thing I wasn't sure on is the garlic seasoning, ingredients said to use garlic salt & instructions said garlic powder... I chose the powder & it worked. Quick, easy & tasty, thanks for sharing.
This was OK. It tasted better before the onion soup mix was added.
This was a really good dinner and it made A LOT!! Which is good if you have three teens like I do, there was even some left over! Which never happens in my house. Thank you for a great new dinner.