Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe appeared in the newest Zelda game, Twilight Princess, in the Snowpeak temple as a soup that Yeto makes for his sick wife, Yeta. The soup, thanks to it's reekfish base, has healing properties that increase as Link finds more ingredients to add throughout the temple, namely a pumpkin and goat cheese from Link's hometown, Ordon. I took a basic pumpkin soup and made some modifications. I decided to make the fish stock and the filet optional because while I think pumpkin and goat cheese are a match made in heaven (or Hyrule), fish and pumpkin and goat cheese might seem like a strange mix for some. Fish or no fish, this soup makes for a perfect winter dinner!
- 2 lbs pie pumpkin, seeded, peeled and diced
- 3⁄4 cup white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, cloves cut into quarters
- 4 1⁄2 cups fish stock or 4 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup goat cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups cream (optional)
- 5 leaves fresh basil, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 halibut fillet (optional)
- Roast pumpkin, onions, and garlic in a roasting pan with a bit of olive oil. In a soup pot, put the roasted items and turn to medium heat.
- Add 3/4 of the stock and simmer for up to 45 minutes, or until fully cooked. Put in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Blend in small amounts of the goat cheese along with the cream if desired.
- Adjust thickness with the leftover stock.
- Add more cream if desired and finish seasoning with herbs, salt, and pepper.
- If you add a filet of your chosen fish, pan-fry it first with oil, salt and pepper, then add it to the soup.