Recipe by superbuna
This is so good you'll want to double the recipe so you can bake one now and freeze the other for another day. The basting "sauce" really enhances the loaf with extra good taste. Recipe from local newspaper Sunday Magazine.
Top Review by Vinca
I followed the directions exactly and it seemed to come out okay. Unfortunately, my husband thought the taste was "okay" and I thought it was terrible. Maybe if the seasonings were changed to sage, thyme and parsley it would be better.
- 1 lb ground ham
- 1 lb bulk lean sausage meat
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl combine meats and breadcrumbs.
- Mix in eggs, sour cream, lemon juice, and the next five spices.
- Dump mixture into greased 9"x13"x2" pan.
- Form into loaf shape.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare basting sauce:.
- Combine brown sugar, water, vinegar and pepper in small saucepan and heat to boil then remove from heat. Remove ham loaf from oven; drain excess fat from pan. Pour sauce over loaf and bake another 15 minutes, basting occasionally.
- Note: Cut ham into small chunks and chop coarsely in food processor. Also, make fresh breadcrumbs in processor.