Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
These delicious treats contain flax seed, making them a nutritious snack. Recipe calls for organic products where possible. Recipe from Peggy's Kitchen
- 2 cups wheat flour or 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (prefer sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup raw sugar (turbinado)
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (milled flax)
- 1⁄4 cup water, boiling*
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- turbinado sugar, for dipping
- *Mix the 2 tablespoons of milled flax with 1/4 cup boiling water and allow to sit for 10 minutes. This will be referred to as Flax Goo later in directions.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. In another bowl cream until soft: coconut oil and 1 cup of vegan sugar, add the ginger. Add to the wet mix: Flax Goo and molasses till blended, then add ~a little at a time~ the dry ingredients to the wet mix. Let the mix sit on the counter for about 5-10 minutes to let the flavors mix.
- Form into 1 inch balls, dip just the top into turbinado sugar, then place on oiled cookie sheet, sugared side up. Place a few inches apart on sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool for just a few minuntes on the sheet before transfering them to a cooling rack. Don't over cook or they will be hard when they cool.