Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe on www.cookingbread.com- really great website if you want to get into bread making. I made a few minor changes (or mistakes) like using all normal flour because of my lacking instrution following skills. Even doing this my bread turned out wonderfully. Just to let you know the prep time and the serving sizes aren't very accurate. When I made this, my loaves flattened while they were rising so I folded the outsides under and let them rise again for about half an hour- seemed to work well. The brushing with egg was my own addition for a more golden brown color, but you could leave that out and probably substitute soy milk for a vegan bread. Doing 1/3 of the recipe makes a nice sized loaf - I would say good for a family of 4. I hope you like it as much as I did. Soooooooo Yummy.
- 1⁄8 cup yeast (3 packets)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk (scalded )
- 2 cups hot water
- 10 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup semolina flour
- 1 -2 egg (optional)
- Pour yeast, 1 tablespoon (first tablespoon) sugar, and the lukewarm water in a bowl. Let sit
- In the meantime mix melted shortening, remaining two tablespoons sugar, all of the salt, the scalded milk, and two cups of the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Add the yeast mixture.
- Alternately add the rest of the flour (including semolina) and hot water.
- Knead on a floured surface for about five minutes ( I did mine for about 10 or until my arm fell off since I am a slow kneader- you should be able to tell by how well your bread stretches).
- Put in a BUTTERED bowl and let rise in a warm place until double in size (Mine rose for 50 minutes in an oven on the warm setting).
- Punch down in order to shape into three loaves and brush with beaten egg.
- Let loaves rise on BUTTERED baking sheets until double in size.
- Optional- slit with scissors at 45 degrees and brush again with egg before baking.
- Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.