Prep 1 hr
Cook 11 hrs
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Super-Veggie Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme (or 1 t. dried)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce (I would use low sodium)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (4 lb) boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 12 ounces red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced in 1 inch thick
- 3 parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced 1 inch thick
- 8 ounces kale, stemmed and leaves sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions, tomato paste, garlic, and thyme and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir beef broth, portobellos, soy sauce, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Season beef with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- Toss potatoes, carrots, and parsnips with remaining tablespoon oil, season with salt and pepper, and wrap in foil packet.
- Lay foil packet on top of stew.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Transfer foil packet to plate; let stew settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in kale, cover, and cook on high until tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Carefully open foil packet, stir vegetables with any accumulated juices into stew, and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes (adjust stew consistency with additional hot broth as needed).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.